Washington, D.C. Discrimination Lawyers Handle Bias Claims
Firm advises workers and businesses on workplace discrimination and harassment actions
Job discrimination and hostile work environments are significant problems for employees. Likewise, an employer who is defending against a bias claim needs to take the situation seriously. At Cashdan & Kane, PLLC, located in Washington, D.C., our accomplished employment law attorneys provide trustworthy counsel to both management and victims regarding anti-discrimination laws. When a claim triggers legal action, our firm represents parties on both sides during negotiations, administrative actions and lawsuits.
What is employment discrimination?
Federal employment laws and the DC Human Rights Act prevent discrimination on the basis of certain traits. Illegal discriminatory actions may include:
- Refusing to hire someone
- Denying a worker promotions, raises and other job benefits
- Paying employees in the same position differently
- Sexually harassing a worker
- Creating or allowing a hostile work environment
- Wrongfully demoting or terminating someone
If you are a job applicant or employee who believes you might be the victim of discrimination or an employer who wants to minimize potential liability or defend against an allegation of bias, we have the knowledge and experience to provide valuable legal support.
What remedies are available in the District of Columbia?
Employees victimized by discrimination may pursue a claim either by filing a lawsuit in court or by making a complaint to the Equal Economic Opportunity Commission (EEOC) or Office of Human Rights. In either case, a discrimination victim might be entitled to all or some of the following:
- Job reinstatement
- Back pay
- Reimbursement for lost benefits and seniority
- Compensation for emotional distress
- Punitive damages
- Mandatory changes to workplace policies
- Attorney fees and court costs
When representing employees alleging discrimination, we determine which remedies you might be entitled to and develop as strong a case for them as possible.
Laws that govern workplace discrimination claims
Various laws might be cited in different types of discrimination actions, including:
- Civil Rights Act of 1965 — Title VII of this statute outlaws discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion and sex, and also prohibits retaliation against anyone for asserting their rights under the law. It applies to private employers with at least 15 employees, government, employment agencies, labor organizations, joint labor-management committees and employee training programs.
- Age Discrimination in Employment Act — The ADEA bans age-based discrimination against job applicants and employees who are at least 40 years old. It applies to private companies with at least 20 employees, state and federal governments, employment agencies and labor unions.
- Americans with Disabilities Act — The ADA prohibits discrimination against applicants and employees, as well as their relatives and associates, due to existing, former and perceived disabilities. Employers are required to make reasonable accommodations for disabilities for individuals who are capable of performing job functions. It applies to private employers with at least 15 employees, government, employment agencies and labor unions.
- D.C. Human Rights Act — This code section outlaws all of the foregoing types of employment discrimination, as well as mistreatment based on marital status, pregnancy and parenthood, sexual orientation and political affiliation, to name a few. It applies to all employers.
If you are an employee, we can determine if any of your rights were violated and seek a proper remedy on your behalf. If you are an employer, we can defend you against a claim under any federal or local law.
Contact a knowledgeable DC discrimination attorney for assistance
Cashdan & Kane, PLLC advises and represents employees and employers in discrimination cases throughout the Washington, D.C. area. Please call our office at 908-264-9331 or contact us online to schedule an appointment. We also have locations in Westfield, Newark and Jersey City, New Jersey.